Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov met members of the Association of European Businesses (AEB) on 25 October in Moscow at the Conference Hall of the Four Seasons Hotel.
Dr. Thomas Staertzel, Chairman of the AEB Board, opened the meeting with a welcome speech. He noted that European businesses are interested in working on the Russian market:
“The Association of European Businesses remains optimistic on the economic potential of the Russian Federation and expects investments in Russia to grow in the next 2-3 years”.
During the briefing Mr. Lavrov shared his opinion on Russian - EU partnership in the challenging times and expressed the hope that all conflicts would be resolved soon.
He also commented on the situation in Ukraine and Syria and the impact that European sanctions were having on business inside and outside Russia.
“Today the business community or the business diplomacy will have a very special role in maintaining confidence and international trust. We are familiar with your attention to develop the mutually beneficial cooperation and continue to work actively on the Russian market. We are aware of your understanding of counterproductive nature of the sanctions and we definitely share this mood”, - noted Mr. Lavrov.
The briefing by Mr. Lavrov was followed by a Q&A session moderated by AEB CEO Dr. Frank Schauff, who reminded of the long-term perspective of a common economic space from Lisbon to Vladivostok.
AEB member company representatives received answers to their most pressing and important questions directly from the source.
Participants in the discussion included:
1. Alexander Liberov, First Deputy Chairman of the AEB Board, CFO, Siemens LLC;
2. Gerald Sakuler, AEB Board Member, AEB treasurer;
3. Adrian Salter, Founder and CEO, Pifagor Development;
4. Philippe Pegorier, AEB Board Member, Chairman of Machine Building Committee, President, Alstom;
5. Cesare Biggiogera, AEB Board Member, CEO, Prysmian Group Russia;
6. Michael Germershausen, Chairman of AEB Human Resources Committee, CEO, Antal Russia;
7. Art Franchek, President, American Institute of Business and Economics;
8. Vilgelmina Shavshina, Councilor, DLA Piper;
9. Reiner Hartman, Head of representative Office, UNIPER Russia